Knowledgebase
Why shouldn't we eat cheese?
Posted on 12 July 2012 10:22 AM

Why is cheese "unfit for human consumption?" I know Ellen White makes this statement and I believe her. I am talking to some new converts and they are asking, why and I really don' t know the scientific answer to that.

Cheese is made from fermented milk. The whey is separated from the curd. From the soft curd, cream cheese is manufactured (or cottage cheese) and if allowed mature, hard cheese are manufactured. In the maturing process, bacteria utilize the sugars and other nutrients in the milk until maturity which means they are no longer able to metabolize the nutrients. The sugar that is metabolized in the milk is lactose and lactose is converted to glucose and galactose. The glucose is used for energy by the bacteria but they lack the enzyme to metabolizes the galactose. Human beings that are weaned no longer produce the enzyme which metabolizes galactose and so galactose is a foreign substance which has been associated with ovarian cancer and senile cataracts as well as other disorders.

The protein in cheese and dairy products is casein, which requires rennin in order to successfully digest it, and humans do not have sufficient rennin so digestion is incomplete and instead of amino acids as end product, short chain polypeptides end up in the bloodstream. These have been associated with allergic reactions as the body creates antibodies against the amino acid sequences. Many sclerotic diseases as well as allergic asthmas, bronchial and ear infections, are associated with this protein as well as diabetes type I.

The fat in cheese is saturated fat and cholesterol but since it is subject to maturation in the air these fats are oxidized particularly since animal products do not contain antioxidants. These fats are carcinogenic and oxidized cholesterol is considered the most dangerous form of cholesterol for cardiovascular disease. Digestion times for cheese in view of their protein composition are very long and require excessive acid production in the stomach in iorder to optimize pepsins activity. Cheese thus leads to acidosis and considering all the above, it should be regarded as totally unfit for food.

Dairy products in general will have the same negative effects as cheese, but in addition, the sugar lactose has not yet been fermented and thus has to be broken down by enzymes in the human body. After weaning, the enzyme lactase is deactivated to a greater or lesser extent in different human races. People of European origin generally tolerate lactose better than Asian, Hispanic or African nations because they still produce the enzyme lactase to some extent after weaning, whereas the other nations produce so little that they are up to 95 or even 100% lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance means that lactose passes to the colon undigested and causes diarrhea and colonic disorders. Even in Europeans this is true to a limited extent. Moreover, bacteria will break down the lactose in the colon and the resultant galactose is considered a foreign substance since Europeans lack the enzyme to convert it to glucose after weaning. So dairy products in general are not the most wholesome.


Is cheese really bad for you?

Here are answers from three sources:

1. From the Mayo Clinic.org web site:

If a piece of cheese has mold growing on it, should I throw the cheese away?

Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D:

Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and ricotta cheese, that have mold should be discarded. The same goes for any kind of cheese that's shredded, crumbled or sliced. With these cheeses, the mold can send threads throughout the cheese. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mold.

Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Of course, not all molds pose a risk. In fact, some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe to eat. If you're not sure what type of cheese you have or what to do if it grows mold, the safe course is to discard it.

2. From Ellen White in the book Ministry of Healing page 302 "...;It (cheese) is wholly unfit for food." and from the book Counsels on Diet and Foods page 368 pp4 "cheese should never be introduced into the stomach" (quoted from 2T68).

3. My current understanding as to why cheese is really bad, is that in the aging process, a lot of chemistry that is very harmful to the body is produced. In addition to being made from cow's milk with the risk of the diseases in cows, and the hormones, and antibiotics given to the cows and from the leukemia virus that is common in milk, any food with a dense concentration of proteins and fats is not good for consumption and would be harmful to human health.

Blessings,

Ray Foster, MD

(47 vote(s))
This article was helpful
This article was not helpful

Comments (1)
Banjo
30 October 2012 04:46 PM
This shows real epexrtsie. Thanks for the answer.
Help Desk Software by Kayako Resolve